Are you 16-25 and on Universal Credit?
Are you passionate about nature and being outdoors?
Are you keen to learn more about Plymouth’s green spaces?
Plymouth City Council National Grid team have 10 Kickstart placements on offer working in green spaces across the city.
- Plant trees and provide after care to them
- Learn about H&S and practically apply all aspects of it in the role
- Link with community engagement groups, activities, and events to help raise public awareness of green spaces and how to look after them
- Gain experience and understanding of how to work within green spaces
Interested? Get in touch with your JCP work coach who can give you more details and/or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information and an application form.
Landscape Assistant Kickstart role
The post holder will, with appropriate support and supervision, assist in delivering a high standard of practical management of the environment in green spaces across the city, in compliance with relevant environmental legislation.
Assist in carrying out all aspects of habitat management improvements and engagement activities as directed, and as part of the Green Natural Grid Ranger team ensuring compliance with relevant safe working procedures and codes of practice. Involves working on Nature Reserves in and around Plymouth.
With direction the post holder will be required to carry out a range of work including:
· Prepare sites for planting, plant trees and provide support, protection and aftercare (20%)
· Maintain sites in line with required standards such as site management plans (20%)
· Maintain and use equipment and machinery safely in line with organisational and industry standards (20%)
· Record logs of work activity to comply with operational standards such as H&S or environmental records (5%)
· Identify pests, diseases and disorders and the work required to remedy them (5%) you will be given training on this
· Liaising and engaging with the public and community groups on specific sites and their management (10%)
· Actively participate in education, training and/or employment development activities with the gateway organisation (20%)
1. Functional skills in English and Maths Level 1 and/or the ability to follow straightforward oral and written instructions
2. Keep basic work records
3. Knowledge of Health and Safety in an operational environment or WILLINGNESS to learn.
4. Willingness to undertake vocational experience within an outdoor setting in a team environment
5. Knowledge and experience, or WILLINGNESS to learn, of good health and safety practice. Have a safety mind-set to protect self, colleagues and others.
6. Experience of working as part of a team or WILLINGNESS to learn
7. Experience of working towards targets or WILLINGNESS to learn
8. Consistently presents a professional manner both in appearance, language and behaviour
9. Reliability - consistently attends work and arrives on time. Time and task management skills
10.Communicates effectively with colleagues and clients including e.g. job supervisor
11.With guidance the post holder will interpret situations and help solve straightforward problems
12.Confidentiality where necessary
13.Interpersonal skills including tact and diplomacy
14.Flexibility and a willingness to embrace change
15.Attention to detail and accuracy required
· The job will be rural based, with no shops, so need to be self-sufficient for that days work (having packed lunch and drink and dressed suitably)
· THIS IS AN OUTDOOR BASED ROLE SO MUST BE PREPARED TO WORK IN ALL WEATHERS.